Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Catholic Treasure (gold from our rich faith)

Today turned out to be the lucky day when we have no after school sports practices or activities scheduled.  This unexpected little boon of extra time gives me much gratitude, which any mom out there can attest to. We actually pulled in the driveway at 4:30 p.m.!  This is a big deal for us lately.

As a result, tonight's dinner will be a chicken roasted for a whole hour, served with tossed salads, and rice pilaf.  We have been living on too many cold type dinners recently.  Tuna salad lettuce wraps are great, but only for so long.

~~ Providentially, also, the main item I wanted to share this evening in Catholic treasure is something special from Pope Francis. 

~  On Saturday, May 4, which was the First Saturday of the month, Pope Francis visited the Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome for the second time.  It was around 6 pm in the evening.  He gave a homily while there which I stumbled upon this morning while I was doing my usual news perusing (www.newadvent.com) on my smartphone just before going into work.  It turned out to be such a gem and so pertinent to parenting, particularly mothering.  The whole article concerning this visit and the Pope in general can be found at http://themoynihanletters.com/from-the-desk-of/letter-69-mary-and-the-deceiver .

I am going to highlight a few of the quotes that really called me to reflection and clarity on where I'm trying to go with my children...Heaven.  Yes.  Also, a good, healthy, happy, productive, positive, loving earthly life that becomes holy by our living and learning. 

"A Mother helps her children to grow and it is her wish that they grow well.  This is why she teaches them not to yield to laziness, which is something that derives also from certain well-being.  She teaches them not to adapt themselves to a life of ease that desires nothing beyond material possessions.
...that they grow strong and capable of taking responsibilities upon themselves, that they take on commitments in life and lean toward great ideals.
A life without challenges does not exist, and a boy or girl who does not know how to face challenges and put himself or herself on the line, has no backbone!"
 
 This treasure of a homily has a lot of rich food for thought.  I am always inclined to want the best for my children, but a soft, overly pampered life where their problems are solved and softened by their parents is not the answer for my children that our culture tells us it is.

I highly encourage the reading of this whole article and I hope many will find it as eye opening and encouraging as I did.

~~  The second thing I wanted to share is the new cd being released by the Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles (nuns).  It is called Angels and Saints at Ephesus.  I listened to parts of it on Youtube and it is heavenly.  They have another cd entitled Advent at Ephesus which is also heavenly.  It's my night-time music after the children have been settled in their rooms and beds. I listen to it as I pray some of the night prayer from liturgy of the hours.  You can order it from catholicmom.com and help them out (which I plan to do) or you could just google the sisters and find the ordering information. 

God bless and Goodnight. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment